Register for a free user account in order to enjoy the following features on Barlows Recipes:
Join Our Community
Tender and Fast Instant Pot Pulled Pork
This tender and delicious pulled pork recipe is one of our favorites. When cooked in an Instant Pot or other electronic pressure cooker it finishes in about an hour. Best served on Hawaiian Sweet Rolls with coleslaw and pickles.
4-5 lb. boneless pork shoulder
1.5 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
2 Cups Water
Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce (or your favorite) to taste
24 Hawaiian Sweet Rolls (King's Hawaiian are good)
Thick-Cut Dill Pickle Slices (or sweet ones if that's your bag)
1. Trim the excess fat off the pork. Cut the pork into 8 equally sized chunks.
2. Set your Instant Pot to the "Saute" setting. Once hot add the Vegetable Oil and put your pork in.
3. Now, add in the Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, Liquid Smoke.
4. Stir the seasonings and pork around until the pork is covered well with the seasonings. Try to brown most of the edges of the pork.
5. Once most of the edges of the pork are browned take the pork out and turn off the Instant Pot. Pour in 2 cups of water and set your Instant Pot to Manual mode on high pressure and set the time to 60 minutes.
6. Put the trivet in your Instant Pot and place the pieces of pork in the Instant Pot again on top of the trivet. Try to leave some space between the pieces so they will cook evenly.
7. Put the lid on your Instant Pot and be sure the steam valve is set to "Sealing". After a while your Instant Pot's red seal button should pop up and the timer will start counting down.
8. After the timer has gone off, turn the Instant Pot off and wait for 15 minutes to let some steam release naturally. After the 15 minutes let all the steam out by carefully flipping the steam valve to "Venting". When the red button pops down you can safely open the lid.
9. Your pork should be super tender at this point. Take it out and shred it and mix it with the BBQ sauce. When we make it the pork is so tender you can shred it just by mixing it with the BBQ sauce.
10. Cut the Hawaiian Sweet Rolls and serve the pulled pork inside the rolls along with coleslaw and pickle slices.